Friday, April 10, 2009

Having poor Donald for dinner (Location: Beijing, China)

I took the night train to Beijing and arrived here early in the morning. It was actually more pleasant experience than I expected - I shared the 4-person sleeper cabin with just one Chinese guy (who did not speak any English - surprise!). He did not snore or fart and the train did not make any stops on the way. So I managed to get a decent sleep.

Just some first impressions of Beijing... This city is huge! Even getting to the other side of city by taxi took more than an hour. Tiananmen square is as big as expected. Need to explore the city more when I come back from North Korea.

The title refers to my dinner tonight - of course I had to try the famous Beijing duck. It was not the most memorable feast ever though - slices of quite greasy duck meat with some vegetables. Maybe I need to try it again in some classier place?

Anyway I'm all set for North Korea tomorrow. Should hopefully be back next Friday. There is no Internet or mobile phone coverage there so don't expect any communications for a while! You even need to declare your mobile phone in the customs even though it does not work... But I'll keep more detailed diary by using the old pen and notebook method.

No comments:

Post a Comment