Friday, April 10, 2009

Engrish everywhere... (Location: Xian, China)

I spent another full day in Xian to explore the sights in the downtown area. Even though the city is big most of the important sights are concentrated in a small area and can be easily visited during one day. There was nothing really that special really - some interesting temples and a mosque that did not look like a mosque at all. Maybe I have seen to many Chinatowns already so I have kind of gotten used to Chinese architecture and culture already? There are Chinese people everywhere and even my local Chinese restaurant has a lot of common with the places here... Myanmar was much different in a sense that I did not really have any idea of about what to expect!

What is really funny though is the amount of Engrish that can be seen everywhere (see www.engrish.com for examples). There are so many misspelled signs and lots of really funny ones that don't seem to make any sense at all. For example the sign at a local mall that said that one floor had 'Cowboy's clothes'. Could not find any boots or stetsons though. I would have uploaded some photos here but for some reason this computer is not accepting my card reader.

On the other hand the non-existent English skills of people are very annoying. I would expect the hotel staff to speak at least some English... Most annoying are the shop clerks that keep following you and keep talking Chinese or just remain silent no matter what you say!

I'll be taking the night train to Beijing today, it is actually my first ever night train trip in a sleeper car anywhere, let's see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment