Thursday, March 12, 2009

Magic mushrooms and sunsets (Location: Gili Islands, Indonesia)


I have read and heard stories of Gili Islands as one of the traveler heavens that are the perfect locations for chilling out big time. So of course I needed to include them in my itinerary. There are actually three islands - each one with a different vibe. I visited two of them - first the party-oriented Gili Trawangan and after that the mellow Gili Meno.

As expected I did not like Gili Trawangan too much - think about staying in a noisy bungalow where the staff continuously tries to sell you weed and the nearby open air clubs play reggae until very late. And restaurants serve 'special magic mushroom shakes'... But the island is very beautiful and you can easily find very beautiful spots and your isolated stretch of white sand beach surrounded by turqoise waters.

So after two nights I moved to Gili Meno that is one of the best places for doing nothing I have found so far. Very quiet and beautiful. Still enough services and restaurants. Excellent snorkeling just 50 meters from the numerous white sand beaches. No cars! I stayed in a very nice (and dirt cheap) bungalow with perfect sunset views. Only nuisance was the chickens and roosters that tended to woke me up at 6 am in the morning... I'll post some photos later when I find a faster connection - they should tell more!

No comments:

Post a Comment