Saturday, February 14, 2009

Vaccination, hard-to-buy flight tickets and a police raid (Location: Hong Kong)

This entry summarizes the interesting day I had in HK on Feb 10th... I had a couple of practical things to take care about, starting with an injection of vaccination that I still needed to take. That was actually easier than I thought, I found a very professional-looking private clinic from the downtown area, walked in with the prescription from my doctor and after 15 minutes it was done. Price of 25 euros was more than reasonable compared compared to Finnish prices of medical services!

Then came the challenging task that I thought to be easy. My next destination will be Philippines so I wanted to buy a flight ticket from the local budget airline Cebu Pacific. I had already tried using their website but after several failed attempts I realized that they don't accept foreign credit cards! So I had to go to their office in HK. When I came there at around 1pm it was closed - they seemed to have a 1-hour break every day at that time! I waited and came back after an hour. This time the office was open but already packed with a dozen filipinos and some brits - it was really tiny and the lines were long already. I stood in line for 15 minutes before seeing the sign that said that they do not take credit cards at all! Fortunately they let me do the reservation but I needed to come back to pay for the tickets. I was finally done at around 3pm!

In the evening there was an interesting incident in the building where I was staying. I was on my way to the Internet cafe downstairs when I was stopped by policemen that asked for my passport. They were busy doing the same for the numerous immigrants that were in the building and I realized that most of the businesses were closed! So obviously they were making some kind of raid to find illegal immigrants? Anyway I did not have any issues and they just put a red stamp on my hand as a proof of having the right to stay in HK!

No comments:

Post a Comment